Ingredients for 2/3 people:
- 1 dried chile pasilla*
- 600g of can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 litre of chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon epazote
- 4 chicken thighs, clean and diced
- Olive oil (not extra virgin)
- 1 avocado
- Grated mild cheddar
- Tortilla chips
- Crème fraîche
- 2 limes, cut in wedges
*Any other chile will also work. If you prefer the soup to be more spicy, leave the seeds of the chile in the soup.
1. Remove the seeds from the chile and cut it into small pieces. Roast them slightly in a very hot saucepan until you smell its aroma. Remove from the saucepan.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the same saucepan over medium. Add the onion and garlic and cook until golden.
3. Pour the tomatoes with the juice into the saucepan and add back the chile pieces.
4. Remove from the heat and blend until obtaining a uniform puree.
5. Return to the heat and cook for around 5 minutes until thickened. Add the broth and epazote and simmer for around 15 minutes.
6. Taste and season with salt.
7. Add the chicken chunks and cook until the chicken is completely done.
8. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with all the toppings.